Movie Marathon: Halloween


There are a lot of movies that people will associate with Halloween. Anything vaguely magical, witchy, spooky, or horror/thriller gets played on TV this time of year. However, there is a very slim selection of movies that are actually about Halloween. Fortunately for you, I have compiled a list. Happy Halloween!

Before I watched this movie for Halloween last year, my only memories of it were vague visions of lumpy trolls and slimy troll eggs hanging from a tree. I was happy to see Ernest as I remembered him. While this is an Ernest movie, so of course it's a kid's comedy, it is also legitimately creepy. At least I still think so. But maybe I just have a particular fear of slimy trolls hatching out of the ground...

Hocus Pocus (1993)
Everyone's favorite Halloween movie, right?! I don't know anyone who doesn't love this movie and has since childhood. When you've got Kathy Najimy, Better Midler, and Sarah Jessica Parker, you've got movie gold. You've got ancient witch legend meeting modern (ah hem- 90's) technology that results in hilarious scenes like a 300-year old ditzy blond witch flirting with the bus driver, who runs over the talking black cat. (Because every Halloween movie needs a talking black cat.)

Ginger Snaps (2000)
High-five to Canada for this one, right? It's called a horror movie, but I don't like horror movies, so really it's more of a werewolf movie because (spoiler alert) she turns into a werewolf. My favorite part of this movie is obviously their school project shown during the opening credits. A photo story featuring the sisters playing dead in all sorts of creative ways to die. Delightfully creepy and morbid. Just like I like it. Also, don't watch this if you're a prepubescent girl because it will make you even more terrified of getting "the curse"...

Where has this movie been all my life?! I mean, clearly this is exactly the type of thing I was talking about in my MM // Magic post last week. Turning 13 and finding out you're a witch! Even better- there's a HalloweenTOWN?! I should be living there! I only just learned about these movies a couple weeks ago, so I've only had time to watch this first one, but I am really excited to spend this Halloweek (omg, see what I did there?) watching the other three Halloweentown movies! Disney Channel Original Movies really are the goldmine of holiday movies...

Mary-Kate and Ashley! Twins! Witches! Eric McCormack! Cloris Leachman! That Canadian guy I've seen in things! The guy that played Sabrina's "cousin" Roland! A crazy homeless guy obsessed with money! What an adventure, guys. What an adventure...

Now, this movie is arguably more about Christmas (I almost didn't include it) since it's really about Jack wanting to basically steal Christmas. However, it does take place in Halloweentown where everyone's life revolves around planning for the best Halloween ever. So, ya, it's really about Halloween. It's the perfect movie to really celebrate and revel in all that is Halloween- the creepy, gory, scary, fun Halloween- before we switch over to Christmastime, which is basically the opposite holiday.

No comments: